Sunday, March 28, 2010

gifts to bring

My husband and I will be visiting our sons who are teaching English in South Korea. Their boss has been so kind to them, and we would like to bring a gift to her and possibly others at the school. what gift would be appropriate to bring from the USA? Thank-you! Chicago Precious





gifts to bring


Multi-vitamins or other nutritional supplements, those are quite expansive in Korea, and many Koreans are always interested well-being of their health.



gifts to bring


while agreeing with blee, I have brought honey in the past which was well received, but also alcohol- esp in boxed-bottles.



Scotch whisky seems to go down well with both genders. I was introduced to someone I expected to be male (forename';Min';) who turned out to be female, and married. I had brought with me a smallish bottle of 17 yr old whisky and a couple of small gifts. I presented them to her, and said ';sorry'; about the whisky but maybe, if she did not wish to drink it, her husband would. She immediately roared with laughter and said ';my husband will not get to see this';.



My preconceptions about Korean women being in the Confucian mode have been broken on several occasions....




ethelman, sorry about your perception of Korean Women being demure being broken.^^ Only if you had seen them draining their soju shot just as quickly as men do...



I thought about suggesting wine, as it is quite popular in Korea, but it%26#39;s too fragile to carry...





Honey is a good gift because many Koreans are crazy about nutritional value of it. I also brought gourmet olive oil which is also well receieved. Generally older Koreans seem obsessed about their health and well-being, so health related products will be a good choice.






Thank-you so much for your great suggestions! I am going shopping now to ';load'; up...my son%26#39;s boss is expecting her first baby in June...I might also try to find a baby gift..Thank-you! Chicago Precious

No comments:

Post a Comment