Wednesday, December 7, 2011

1st Time Korea - Christmas in Seoul with Ski?

Hi guys,

Will be headed up to Seoul over Christmas for a Free and Easy family holiday from 23rd Dec to 26/28 Dec

We are planning to stay in Seoul but would love to make a short visit to the ski slopes if possible.

Which is the best ski resort? Would it be an accessible option for a day trip or would it be better to spend a few days there?

Also Christmas in Seoul, where would be the best place for a Christmas Eve/Day Dinner/Lunch? Any fine dining (korean/european) establishments or would it better to stick to the hotel restaurants?

Thanks! All suggestions appreciated!

1st Time Korea - Christmas in Seoul with Ski?

My friends and I booked a hotel at High 1. I read that%26#39;s like a 3 hours train from Seoul.

1st Time Korea - Christmas in Seoul with Ski?

Grace travel can help you arrange day ski tours.


thanks for ur suggestions guys

have extended my stay in korea by another 3 days, so looking at spending 3 days in seoul and 3 at a ski resort (yongpyong?) - just can%26#39;t decide where to celebrate the Christmas leg of it (1st 3 nights)

As I%26#39;m leaving Korea from Incheon on Monday 29 December 9am flight, do you think it will be more practical to spend my last 3days in Seoul rather than having to worry about airport transfer from a ski resort in the early hours? Would there be taxis at all hours and how much would it cost from e.g. Yongpyong to Incheon?

I realise there are bus services from Incheon Airport to Seoul Lotte and then to Yongpyong. Are these reliable and are there other direct alternatives?

Cheers guys :)


I would advise that you stick around at Seoul closer to your departure. Although you can technically hire cab to drive from Yongpyung to Incheon, you will probably have to pay small fortune. Bus service is reliable if the weather is OK. All in all too stressful to risk on the day of your departure. By the way, did you finish booking your accomodation at Seoul and Yongpyung? Christmas is national holiday there, so many ski resorts will be real crowded. Book ASAP. As special dinner for Christmas, you will find many fine dining places are within high class hotels such as Continental, Westine or Lotte.

Enjoy your trip.


thanks blee!

yeah i%26#39;ve got accomodation booked in seoul over christmas but I agree with your suggestion that I should try to plan my itinerary such that I leave from seoul rather than the ski resort on monday morning.

emailed yongpyong resort, i hope they have accomodation then we can spend christmas up in the resort and finish our vacation in seoul!

anyone face problems with the yongpyong reservations form on their website? hope the problems are not because the resort is already full :(


I doubt a bit about direct reservation to Yongpyung resort during Christmas holiday seasons, one of the highest seasons for the resort. You%26#39;d better call Yongpyong and check room availability asap.

There are other ski resorts around seoul such as Yangji, Jisan, Gangchon,Gonjiam (a new one to open this month), and Daemyung - 1.5hrs from Seoul. If you short in time, you could try those resort too.

Wish you good luck!


Wow I%26#39;m thinking I should revise my itinerary. I just bought my ticket today. My friend and I will be Seoul from Dec. 27- Jan 2 and we%26#39;re thinking that we could spend New Year in YongPyong.(Dec. 31-Jan.2) I haven%26#39;t made any reservations yet. Did anyone already ask about availability? We also plan to go skiing (first timers).


A 9 am flight does imply a very early departure from Seoul- you should probably allow 1 hr -1hr 30 for the bus (or even for a taxi). So I guess if your flight leaves at 9, you probably check in around 7?

Personally I might be thinking of staying at the airport, just to be sure.


naah...we will just get the hotel reception to give us an early wake up call then :)

still no news after email from yongpyung, and I hope the office has not closed for the weekend :(

probably give them a call directly or even the tour agencies - although as I mentioned earlier I don%26#39;t know how they would calculate a ski package for 4 people including accomodation where only 3 will be skiing - hence my apprehension in booking with a travel agency as opposed with booking directly with the resort

KIMI99 - Thanks for your suggestion - will look at Yangji, Jisan, Gangchon, Daemyung and Gonjiam - which you said is new (opening this month) but can%26#39;t seem to find the offical website.

These nearer resorts might be a more practical and viable choice given the late timing of my booking

BADBATZ - let us know how you get on with your ski trip booking! my impression is that travel agencies require possibly a 2 week minimum to confirm bookins with payment made, so you might still have some time left if u hurry :P


I checked some websites of the ski resorts I mentioned and it seems that it barely possible book a room during christmas holidays seasons. It is very high demand season indeed, so it%26#39;s almost impossible for even Koreans to book a room in that period. But just make a call or search some travel agencies that booked in advance for foreigners coming to Korea in a package group and possibly give out some rooms with extra charges. You could also check some info. through www.lifeinkorea.com/index.cfm… or http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/index.kto

  • get time from datetime
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment